Re: Installer changes...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Installer changes...
From: "Francis M. J. Hsieh" <mjhsieh@life.nthu.edu.tw>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 03:25:48 +0800
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
At 12:37 AM 1998/5/13 -0400, you wrote:
>As per Mike Shaver's suggestions, I've made some changes to root-be (now
>version 0.04), which affects Linux-installer (now version 0.2).  The
>changes listed are below. Tehy're all in teh GettingStarted directory.
>root-be chnages include adding ftp, libncurses and /etc/protocols,
>/etc/services and /etc/termcap.
>There's also now a script in /etc/rc.d which creates new sd* devices if
>they aren't created already.

I'm sorry if this was discussed in the maillist.

Should there be /etc dirctory after I cpio into my partition? I can't
find /etc in my linux partition under installer prompt.

BTW, I use the kernel in /pub/test/vmlinux-indy-2.1.99.tar.gz and got
panic. The "NICE" panic message is:

[deleted]
sgiseeq.c: David S. Miller (dm@engr.sgi.com)
eth0: SGI Seeq8003 blah:blah:blah:blah
Partition check
   blah....
   blah....
Freeing unused kernel memory: 32k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.
kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= optional to kernel.
[halt]

And I use the kernel in GetingStarted directory, and got panic, too.
("should not happened yet")
--
Francis Meng Juei Hsieh, Life Science Department, NTHU, Taiwan.
Welcome to Life Science BBS bbs.life.nthu.edu.tw