Re: Evidence of Drive Activity to Report

To: eak@detroit.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Evidence of Drive Activity to Report
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 09:33:14 +0200
Cc: mdhill@interlog.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sun, May 10, 1998 at 11:19:23PM -0400, Eric Kimminau wrote:

> I had the exact same problem - I needed to re-make the ext2fs
> filesystem on the drive and re-perform the install for it to get
> further.
>
> Eric.
>

> Michael Hill wrote:
> >
> > Okay, let's say it was just fsck that got hung up, and not the entire
> > boot process.  When it stops with '[/sbin/fsck.ext2] fsck.ext2 -a /'
> > and I press Ctrl-C, more information comes to light:
> >
> > The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> > filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> > filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else, the the superblock
> > is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> >     e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
> > *** An error occurred during the file system check.
> > *** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
> > *** when you leave the shell.
> > Give root password for maintenance.
> > INIT: entering runlevel: 0mal startup):
> > while opening UTMP file: No such file or directory
> >
> > ...then I get the SGI maintenance screen back.  There's no evidence of
> > a shell when it tells me it's dropping me to a shell.  From IRIX I ran
> > 'e2fsck -b 8193 drive' on the drive (with no improvement) but I don't
> > think that's the appropriate context.  Suggestions?

Both cases sound like a bad /etc/fstab.  Try adding init=/bin/sh to your
firmware command like arguments.  You'll get a completly uninitialized
system.   Run e2fsck, then you should be able to remount / rw and fix
the fstab.

>         Copyright 1998, Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
>         Confidential to Silicon Graphics Computer Systems
>                 ** -- not for redistribution -- **

And that in a .sig.  ROTFL.  But at least Amy Postnews would love such a
sig :-)