Re: Evidence of Drive Activity to Report

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: Evidence of Drive Activity to Report
From: Michael Hill <mdhill@interlog.com>
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 15:20:32 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Okay, let's say it was just fsck that got hung up, and not the entire
boot process.  When it stops with '[/sbin/fsck.ext2] fsck.ext2 -a /'
and I press Ctrl-C, more information comes to light:

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else, the the superblock
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance.
INIT: entering runlevel: 0mal startup):
while opening UTMP file: No such file or directory

...then I get the SGI maintenance screen back.  There's no evidence of
a shell when it tells me it's dropping me to a shell.  From IRIX I ran
'e2fsck -b 8193 drive' on the drive (with no improvement) but I don't
think that's the appropriate context.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike
--
Michael Hill