Re: Making Progress

To: mdhill@interlog.com
Subject: Re: Making Progress
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 12:56:02 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, May 07, 1998 at 05:39:11AM -0400, Michael Hill wrote:

> Trying to boot the kernel (2.1.90) I can now get beyond the SCSI
> detection stage but now it stops at this point:
>
>       Sending BOOTP and RARP requests............. timed out!
>       IP-Config: Auto-configuration of network failed.
>       Partition check:

Try adding ip=none to your boot commandline.  This should disable the
BOOTP / RARP stuff.  Have you given a root=/dev/foo argument to
indicate your root device?

> I'm not connected to a network; can I bypass the ethernet check?

This happens only because your kernel has been built to autoconfigure
the network stuff and boot from NFS.  If you compiled this kernel yourself,
just disable the respective options.

> My root drive is recognized as sdb, but the installer procedure was
> the only preparation I gave it.  Until now it has been my external
> IRIX drive.  Is there something I need to do first with fx?

Adding a partition wouldn't be bad.