Re: Missing something obvious?

To: adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca (Alex deVries)
Subject: Re: Missing something obvious?
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 17:14:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: leon@reading.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:On Wed, 6 May 1998, Leon Verrall wrote:
:> Apologies for launching in with nowt but a question but I'm obviously
:> missing something on the SGI Linux installation...
:> I've downloaded a built kernel, root-be-0.03.cpio and the installer prog,
:> built a filesystem, got the files on etc. and can boot to single user. The
:> question is; "Where do I go from here?". On the one hand I have the kernel
:> source, a gcc RPM, glibc tarball etc. and on the other a machine with a
:> _bare_ bones system (i.e. won't get to init 2 as no scripts on /etc/rc2.d/,
:> mount fails to mount /etc/fstab entries prompting rc.sysinit hacking etc...)
:
:Leon,
:
:       I doubt there's anyone on this list that can defend the clarity of
:the documentation on the WWW site.
:
:       The next goal is this: download all the RPMs, and install them via
:FTP.  You can get the RPMs themselves from
:ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/redhat/hurricane/ or similiar.  Those packages make
:up something like 80% of Red Hat 5.0.
:
:       When looking for the RPMs, remember that SGIs use 'mipseb'
:binaries, NOT mipsel.
:
:       And, let us know how it goes.
:
:- Alex
:

Do we have a volunteer who has gone through the process
and can update the HOWTO ?

If the volunteer doesn't have ssh access to linus,
just email me the public key and desired username
and (s)he'll be granted access.

Thanks!
--
Peace, Ariel