Re: Missing something obvious?

To: Leon Verrall <>
Subject: Re: Missing something obvious?
From: Alex deVries <>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 10:53:06 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: SGI Linux <>
On Wed, 6 May 1998, Leon Verrall wrote:
> Apologies for launching in with nowt but a question but I'm obviously
> missing something on the SGI Linux installation...
> I've downloaded a built kernel, root-be-0.03.cpio and the installer prog,
> built a filesystem, got the files on etc. and can boot to single user. The
> question is; "Where do I go from here?". On the one hand I have the kernel
> source, a gcc RPM, glibc tarball etc. and on the other a machine with a
> _bare_ bones system (i.e. won't get to init 2 as no scripts on /etc/rc2.d/,
> mount fails to mount /etc/fstab entries prompting rc.sysinit hacking etc...)

        I doubt there's anyone on this list that can defend the clarity of
the documentation on the WWW site.

        The next goal is this: download all the RPMs, and install them via
FTP.  You can get the RPMs themselves from or similiar.  Those packages make
up something like 80% of Red Hat 5.0.

        When looking for the RPMs, remember that SGIs use 'mipseb'
binaries, NOT mipsel.

        And, let us know how it goes.

- Alex