Re: Hanging.

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: Hanging.
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 15:45:41 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: tim@cobaltmicro.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, 4 May 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> I cc this to Tim.  DaveM is also reading this list, so they'll know.
> The problem isn't too bad.  Once new rpm binaries have been installed
> those
> will know about mipsel/mipseb.  And we _had_ to break compatibility,
> remember the purpose was to make the two flavours and the old ``mips''
> flavour different and distinguishable from each other.

Yes.  We had to break compatibility.  It's just disappointing that the
SGI-Linux, Cobalt Micro and RPM flks disn't come to a consensus on it.
And really, I'm not laying blame, I'm trying to find a solution to it.

Right now, Qube users will have the following problems:
- they will build RPMs that are tagged as arch 4, which isn't in line
  with the standard that RPM and SGI-Linux agreed to
- they will have to use --ignorearch when installing contribbed RPMs
- RPM will not complain when installing incompatible mipseb packages

Even if the Cobalt ships and update with RPM 2.4.109 or similiar:
- the binaries that Cobalt already ships with (and I assume they do) will
have to be regenerated

We really need some input from Cobalt on this issue.  Tim?

- Alex