Re: IDE device in defconfig...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: IDE device in defconfig...
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sun, 3 May 1998 14:33:00 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, May 02, 1998 at 09:14:11PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:

> The default config in the kernel is to enable IDE devices, which as I
> found out the hard way breaks the bootup on my SGI.  Is this the default
> for a reason? Do other non-SGI MIPS machines have IDE controllers?  If
> not, I'd like to change this.

The default configuration happens to be what I use to compile a kernel
for my RM200 and Acer machine and yes, one can plug IDE hostadapters
into them.  Whatever, IDE configured shouldn't crash the kernel, that's
the bug, not that IDE is configured in and it's easy to fix, see
linux/include/asm-mips/ide.h.