Re: Hanging.

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: Hanging.
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Sat, 2 May 1998 21:26:22 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, 2 May 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 02:20:22PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:
> > This is a bit weird.   Once every 30 minutes or so, my Indy just sits
> > there and hangs.  Num lock will work, it'll ping, but there'll be no error
> > messages, and the system's useless.  After about 10 minutes of this, it'll
> > wake up as if nothing had happened.
>
> Is it possibly about 64 seconds and not 10 minutes?  If so, we're loosing

Hm.  It's definitely more than 64 seconds.  It's happening right now, and
we're at 5 minutes by my watch.  It could be multiple 64 second hangs back
to back, though.  And I have a 134Mhz, I believe.

> If they keyboard is still working, try pressing <ALT>+<Scroll Lock>.  This
> should print a register dump.  That dump might end up in the syslog
> depending from your setup.  Does the keyboard still work (try toggling
> the caps lock led with caps lock)?  If you get such a register dump, could
> you please send it to me?

Yes, I will.  This will have to wait until I am at the console, though,
which can't be until tomorrow.

- Alex