Re: Could mounting sdc instead of sdc1 have solved my panics?

To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Could mounting sdc instead of sdc1 have solved my panics?
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 00:47:40 +0200
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, Apr 29, 1998 at 11:27:13PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> > I don't see any reason why the kernel should crash when using sdc instead of
> > a partition.  So I forward this to linux-kernel in the hope anybody knows.
>
> My Indy has always been on /dev/sdb - anyone who has met the SGI command
> line disk partitioner can probably guess why. So far its worked ;)

Fact is that two kernels, the one Alex built from linux-cvs and the one
which I built yesterday for myself, both significantly different and both
2.1.91 derived, crashed.  Each time disassembling showed that somehow a NULL
pointer ended up in the SCSI scatter-gather lists which where passed to
dma_setup in the sgiwd93.  No idea why; I've never seen that bug myself.