Re: gcc RPM missing crtbegin.o

To: Alex deVries <>
Subject: Re: gcc RPM missing crtbegin.o
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 03:48:39 +0200
Cc: SGI Linux <>
On Sat, Apr 25, 1998 at 08:01:33PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:

> Hm. I've re-installed gcc from the RPM that's in the mustang directory on
> linus (2.7.2-1, build date is Dec 4 03:23:00).  "Yipee", says I, "I can
> now become an productive member of society".
> But, the gcc RPM doesn't have crtbegin.o, which is a bit odd.  It's not
> the end of the world, I snarfed it from the cross compiling RPM for i386.
> Was there a reason it wasn't included?

It's spelled ``bug''.  This has been reported before and I'm shure I've
uploaded the apropriate fixes in form of new patch sets, source and binary

[ralf@lappi ralf]$ ssh -C -l ralf
Enter passphrase for RSA key 'root@rio':
Last login: Thu Apr 23 08:28:04 1998 from
Welcome to !

This machine serves as:
        o A  repository for SGI/Linux source code          /src/cvs
        o A  web server for SGI/Linux (  /src/web
        o An ftp server for SGI/Linux (  /src/ftp

Please, use the /src and /work directories for storing big stuff
Home dirs are on / and it fills quite fast.

Shell access to core developers and contributors via ssh only.
Happy hacking!

                 Jul, 1997
ralf@linus:ralf# locate gcc-2.7.2 | fgrep -e -3 | fgrep .rpm

Easy, isn't it?

> I'm having some really wonky behaviour on my filesystem with .72; files
> are disappearing off my filesystem left right and center.  For instance,
> crtbegin.o has been on the system since I first got the machine last fall.
> e2fsck's always come back clean. Now that I got my compiler working, I'm
> running .1.91 again.

I've fixed *shitloads* of bugs since .72, not too mention a dramatic increase
in performance.  You're right, filesystems on Indys (not other MIPS boxes)
had the problem of a certain ``volatilibility'', but that's gone for me.
If somebody still sees fs corruption on Indys running 2.1.91, please report.

> I also upgraded to the glibc 2.0.7 RPMs, which seems to have messed up
> tcsh.  It'd be real nice to get gdb and/or strace working to debug things
> like this.

Strace is working.  See the CVS.

There is no glibc 2.0.7.