Re: what is the proper way to install linux -- part 2

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: what is the proper way to install linux -- part 2
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 18:32:22 +0200
Cc: Dong Liu <dliu@npiww.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 05:19:45PM -0400, Alex deVries wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Apr 1998, Dong Liu wrote:
> > Does the fdisk on root-be-0.03.tar.gz work?, the kernel said my SCSI disk
> > has 4 partitions, but fdisk prints no partition informarion.
>
> We don't currently have an fdisk that recognizes SGI partitions.

While this is correct, it's no real problem.  You can use PC-style partition
tables on all disks except the disks where sash resides and where it loads
the kernel from.

PC-style partition table can actually be quite handy.  When bringing up
Linux on the Indy for the first time from a disk I prepared the disk hooked
on to a Linux PC.  After that I just hooked the disk on to the Indy and
had the first Indy booting from disk.  Except DaveM, that is.