Re: serial console

To: Dong Liu <dliu@npiww.com>
Subject: Re: serial console
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 23:35:32 +0200
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Thu, Apr 02, 1998 at 03:06:21PM -0500, Dong Liu wrote:

> Ok, I got a serial cable , connect it, type "nvram console d", now I
> can boot irix from a serial terminal, but for linux, the message
> didn't come out, maybe all the serial parameters are not set right.

Linux doesn't accept the value ``dd'' for the console variable.  If you
try, Linux should complain about the setting and enter the interactive
firmware mode again.  Could you try setting console to either d1 or d2
according to the serial line you're using?

Thanks for testing this; having working serial consoles is on of the
missing parts in supporting the Challenge S.