Re: compile problem with kernel

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: compile problem with kernel
From: Oliver Frommel <oliver@aec.at>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:32:33 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Ulf Carlsson <grimsy@zigzegv.ml.org>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hi,

I am currently trying to rebuild recent binutils and gcc with host=x86 and
target=mips-linux. So far I've built binutils-2.8.1 with the patch from sgi.com
applied but I have some problems building gcc. I have two questions regarding
the setup of the crosscompilation environment:

1. is gas supposed to be part of the binutils package, of the gcc package or
 is it a package on its own? I've built gas from the binutils dist and put it
 into the binutils.rpm now while I found it in gcc-xcompile...2.7.2-3.rpm
 on sgi.com ..

2. which compiler source & patches am i supposed to use? I've tried the original
 gcc-2.7.2 with patches 2.7.2-6 and 2.7.2-7 from sgi.com applied, but I am not
 sure if those are meant to be used with a native mips-linux host & target.
 Anyway I am getting this error when I try to compile gcc now:

./xgcc -B./ -DCROSS_COMPILE -DIN_GCC    -I./include -I. -I. -I./config  \
  -DCRT_BEGIN -finhibit-size-directive -fno-inline-functions \
   -c ./crtstuff.c
as: unrecognized option `-PIC'
make: *** [stamp-crt] Error 1

(btw.: I am using a non-optimizing version of gcc on the crosscompiler host due
 to a problem with the Cyrix processor ..)

thanks
-oliver