new to sgi linux

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: new to sgi linux
From: Dong Liu <dliu@npiww.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 15:25:08 -0500
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Hello,

I'm new to sgi linux, just got a spare Indy :=), can some one help me on this.

According the linux sgi FAQ on http://www.linux.sgi.com, I download
vmlinux-970916-efs and the small root fs. When I boot it using bootp,
I get

Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 00000000,
epc == 800cbfdc, ra == 800cbfbc

right after linux kernel displayed

eth0: SGI Seeq8003 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

I also noticed that something unusual, the kernel printed out

Memory: 60964/196604k avaialble (1020k kernel code, 2772k data)
              ^^^^^^ this is too big for 62M

My machine is a Indy which has 62M memory, and PROMLIB detected it right.

Another thing it didn't get the right capacity of scsi disk.

I also tried the newer kernels from ftp.linux.sgi.com:/pub/test, but
they immediately crashed.

Thanks.

Dong