Re: MIPS 2.1.89 now in CVS

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: MIPS 2.1.89 now in CVS
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 00:04:26 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, David A Willmore <willmore@cig.mot.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, Mar 25, 1998 at 04:27:42AM +0100, ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 09:06:06PM -0600, David A Willmore wrote:
> > Hey! :)  I've got a 53c90 card for the ISA bus that I would like to use on a
> > x86 machine.  Any idea how easy it would be to modify this driver to work
> > with
> > a very generic card like that?  Funny that I didn't find any of this code in
> > the normal 2.1.90.  I take it your code isn't merged in?
>
> Actually adding the necessary changes shouldn't be difficult.  Check out
> the files drivers/scsi/{sparc,jazz}esp.[ch] in one of the snapshots on
> ftp.linux.sgi.com.  You'll have to provide a similar machine / bus specific
> backend like for these two architectures.  Actually an ISA specific backend
> should be easier to implement than these two.

depends on the DMA engine used on the board. When the card uses the normal
PC DMA controller it will be dead slow and a horror to implement (welcome
to world of 64K segments). If the board has it's own DMA engine, you need
documentation for it. And without DMA you will need a new driver.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)