Re: MIPS 2.1.89 now in CVS

To: David A Willmore <willmore@cig.mot.com>
Subject: Re: MIPS 2.1.89 now in CVS
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:27:42 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Tue, Mar 24, 1998 at 09:06:06PM -0600, David A Willmore wrote:

> > I've upgraded the MIPS port to 2.1.89.  Aside of the still unresolved
> > problem in exit_mm() which I've reported some hours ago is seems to be
> > working on Indys.  Haven't yet tested the rest of my hardware collection.
> >
> > I'm particularly interested in reports about the NCR53C9x driver on
> > Olivetti M700 / Magnum 4000.
>
> Hey! :)  I've got a 53c90 card for the ISA bus that I would like to use on a
> x86 machine.  Any idea how easy it would be to modify this driver to work with
> a very generic card like that?  Funny that I didn't find any of this code in
> the normal 2.1.90.  I take it your code isn't merged in?

Actually adding the necessary changes shouldn't be difficult.  Check out
the files drivers/scsi/{sparc,jazz}esp.[ch] in one of the snapshots on
ftp.linux.sgi.com.  You'll have to provide a similar machine / bus specific
backend like for these two architectures.  Actually an ISA specific backend
should be easier to implement than these two.

You're right, things have not been merged back but I intend to do this in
the near future.  I just wanted to do some bug bashing in the MIPS kernel.
Things are looking _better_ than ever now, so the time his near.

I just hope penguin central doesn't release 2.2.0 before I do my mergeback ...

(The world will be safe from me for today, I'm going to the CeBIT ...)