Re: xntp

To: Trevor Schroeder <tschroed@cheetah.wsc.edu>
Subject: Re: xntp
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 19:25:14 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, Mar 06, 1998 at 11:01:32AM -0600, Trevor Schroeder wrote:

> > Don't run xntpd; there is some bug in the MIPS stuff which locks the
> > machine, only the usual kernel hotkeys are still working.  I don't
> > know why or if all platforms are affected.  The crash happend on a
> > RM200.  The time code is ripe for a complete overhaul anyway ...
>
> Do tell, what exactly is this bug?  I'm using xntpd on a number of non-MIPS
> Linux hosts here and I'd like to verify that it's not going to be a problem.

I appears as if a syscall never terminates or so.  xntpd just hangs in 'R'
(running) state in the process table.  This happens immediately after
starting xntpd from the command line.  For now I assume this to be a MIPS
only bug - Ulrich Windl posted some NTP4 related patches and that's about
everything I heared in the last time related to NTP bugs.  So don't worry,
I'm going to fix it next week - there is something non-MIPSish on my to-do
list that is more urgent ...

On the other side xntpd builds right out of the box for Linux/MIPS and that's
already good news, given the complexity of the thing and how difficult it
builds for IRIX.