Re: installation problem.

To: Ariel Faigon <ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: installation problem.
From: Ulf Carlsson <grimsy@varberg.se>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 03:21:14 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Ariel Faigon wrote:

> We really need someone who runs linux and understands the details
> to clean up the web site and make sure the FAQ is current and
> the precompiled kernels are stable and those that are bad
> are deleted etc.
> If you vounteer, please send me your ssh public key and I
> give you an account on *.linux.sgi.com in no time  :-)

Well, I could done that. I have only one programming project right now and
this isn't even programming, just writing a FAQ and updating a homepage.
There are still some reasons why I can't help you with this right now:

1. I know almost nothing about MIPS/Linux. Well, as soon as it boots for
   me will I study all its advantages and disadvantages.
2. My internet connection is not very fast. Only modem at home. Well, I
   have a faster connection at school, but you know. Serving a ftp
   with 10mb kernels is not a job for me. (well, I may take charge of the
   www site some day in the (near?) future).

> Linux on SGI Indy's is quite stable once it boots.  We have about
> five or so users that use it daily as their development platform.
Developing MIPS/Linux or developing something else?
How many MIPS/Linux are there right now? 10? 50? 100?

> We seem to have some problems with some HW configs but not enough
> installed base to figure all this out.  Maybe now that Ralf is
> back we may see some progress.  Ralf is an amazing MIPS and Linux
> hacker, we probably need someone else who is less of a hacker but
> more of a documenter to take charge of the web site.
How many coders are there for MIPS/Linux, just Ralf?

> You'll be blessed if you join.
As I said I have to install the funky shit first of all. :-)

- grimsy