Re: installation problem.

To: grimsy@varberg.se (Ulf Carlsson)
Subject: Re: installation problem.
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 17:28:37 -0800 (PST)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
:
:> .68 isn't supposed to work.  The memory is laid out such that the buggy
:> cache routine has a bit less of effect.
:
:Hm, ok. But why is .68 on ftp.linux.sgi.com if it doesn't work, or isn't
:even supposed to work?
:
We really need someone who runs linux and understands the details
to clean up the web site and make sure the FAQ is current and
the precompiled kernels are stable and those that are bad
are deleted etc.

If you vounteer, please send me your ssh public key and I
give you an account on *.linux.sgi.com in no time  :-)

:
:I have some questions concerning the MIPS/Linux project. I think the FAQ
:on the homepage is obsolete (sorry, you must have answered these questions
:100 times by now :)
:
:Is it possible to use MIPS/Linux yet, or is it too buggy? How much of the
:X code is done? Are any of the SGI special devices, such as the cool
:functions on the video card supported yet? Which kernel runs
:linux.sgi.com (this one seems to be quite stable).
:
Linux on SGI Indy's is quite stable once it boots.  We have about
five or so users that use it daily as their development platform.
We seem to have some problems with some HW configs but not enough
installed base to figure all this out.  Maybe now that Ralf is
back we may see some progress.  Ralf is an amazing MIPS and Linux
hacker, we probably need someone else who is less of a hacker but
more of a documenter to take charge of the web site.

:Maybe I'll join the project (if you allow me to). I don't know if I have
:the time right now, quite busy programming for a demo project.
:
You'll be blessed if you join.

--
Peace, Ariel