Re: installation problem.

To: Ulf Carlsson <grimsy@varberg.se>
Subject: Re: installation problem.
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 00:57:59 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, Feb 28, 1998 at 12:42:15AM +0100, Ulf Carlsson wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Feb 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
>
> > The exact bug is that one of the cache maintenance routines in
> > include/asm-mips/r4kcache.h uses there wrong cachop for flushing the
> > cache.
>
> Oh.
>
> > > understand what you mean, sorry :)  Well, this is not a big problem for me
> > > anyway. The .68 kernel works. The main problem is the one with the
> >
> > .68 isn't supposed to work.  The memory is laid out such that the buggy
> > cache routine has a bit less of effect.
>
> Hm, ok. But why is .68 on ftp.linux.sgi.com if it doesn't work, or isn't
> even supposed to work?

It's only supposed to fail for your configuration.

> > > harddrives (detecting them, but with the size of 0Mb, and the kernel can't
> > > read the partition tables), and the one with the kernel paging request it
> > > can't handle. Any ideas?
> >
> > Should all be the cache effect.
>
> Doesn't it work for your?

Since I'm doing the thing it will always work for my hardware (hint, hint ...)

> I have some questions concerning the MIPS/Linux project. I think the FAQ
> on the homepage is obsolete (sorry, you must have answered these questions
> 100 times by now :)
>
> Is it possible to use MIPS/Linux yet, or is it too buggy? How much of the

It's good for month of uptime.  Some apps are not that reliable.

> X code is done? Are any of the SGI special devices, such as the cool
> functions on the video card supported yet? Which kernel runs

Linux supports what god wanted to be supported, text mode :-)

> linux.sgi.com (this one seems to be quite stable).

It's called IRIX :-)

(And yes, the machine had over half a year uptime.  The IRIX developers on
the list will apreciate your praise :-)