Re: installation problem.

To: Ulf Carlsson <grimsy@varberg.se>
Subject: Re: installation problem.
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 22:41:34 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Ulf Carlsson wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Alex deVries wrote:
> > > sdb : sector size 0 reperted, assuming 512.
> > > SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 1  [0 MB] [0.0 GB]
> > Hm.  The 0 MB is what's worrisome, since the kernel doesn't know what kind
> > of disk you have.  Can you partition and format that disk properly under
> > Irix?
>
> Hmm.. I have dropped the harddrive in the floor once :)

Who hasn't? :)

> Well, I get the same error message from the kernel with sda. (those lines
> are identical.. the sda error message is just above the sdb's).

Yup.  It sounds like it's a SCSI driver problem.  Are you getting the
error message now with .72?

> Can't you please tell me how to partition and format a disk in irix? I
> have no real experience of irix, got this indy last week. But I
> have ofcourse been using linux for a long time :)

You need to use fx, or that cutesy graphical tool that's on the menus.

NB: the latest release on ftp.linux.sgi.com is 2.1.72, not 2.1.82 as I'd
mentioned earlier.  Too many numbers...

- Alex