Re: installation problem.

To: Ulf Carlsson <grimsy@varberg.se>
Subject: Re: installation problem.
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 16:31:18 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Ulf Carlsson wrote:

> Hello, sorry that I'm asking.. don't know if this is a support mailing
> list.
> I have been trying to install linux on my indy today. First I tried to use
> the ext2 partition, /dev/sdb1, with no success. THe kernel says:
>
> sdb : sector size 0 reperted, assuming 512.
> SCSI device sdb: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 1  [0 MB] [0.0 GB]

Hm.  The 0 MB is what's worrisome, since the kernel doesn't know what kind
of disk you have.  Can you partition and format that disk properly under
Irix?

I'd certainly suggest you use a different kernel.  Uh, I think there's a
.82 kernel kicking around on ftp.linux.sgi.com.  If not, I'll make sure
there is.

- Alex