Re: Trouble in making swap area

To: Masashi Sasahara/笹原正司 <sasahm@taec.toshiba.com>
Subject: Re: Trouble in making swap area
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:40:00 -0500 (EST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Masashi Sasahara/[ISO-2022-JP] 笹原正司 wrote:

>   I'm trying to install linux onto indy using vmlinux-970916-efs
> and Linux-installer-0.1d which is on ftp.linux.sgi.com.
>   Actually I failed to start "installer" so I extracted
> root-be-0.03 by hand. So I managed to install everything in
> root-be-0.01.cpio. but I'm having a problem on creating swap
> area.

Uh, are you using root-be 0.01, or 0.03?  I believe 0.03 has mkswap in it,
but 0.01 does not.

What happened when you tried to run the installer?

You probably don't need mkswap at this point anyway, since there really
aren't that many applications in root-be that will chew up that much
space.  The goal should be to put root-be on your filesystem, and from
there install all the RPMS (which contain mkswap in util-linux).

- Alex