Re: Another linux tidbit

To: wje@fir.engr.sgi.com (William J. Earl)
Subject: Re: Another linux tidbit
From: fisher@hollywood.engr.sgi.com (William Fisher)
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 16:31:49 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux@hollywood.engr.sgi.com, fisher@hollywood.engr.sgi.com (William Fisher)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

>     I was just browsing this week's Info World, which includes
> their "1997 Product of the Year" awards.  They gave the Operating
> System award to Red Hat Linux, and the Best Technical Support
> award to the Linux user community.  They wrote, "Find out what
> you have been missing while you've been rebooting Windows NT", and,
> in regard to support from commercial vendors, "Many times [the vendors]
> deny that there are bugs in their software."

        Bill Gates has explictly stated in several published interviews
        that Microsoft does NOT do software releases ONLY to fix bugs.

        "The only reason to release new software is for features which
        the customers are willing to pay." He even argued that the
        typical "fixed in the next release" quoted by technical support
        was a non-starter.

        I wonder what BillG does when he hits an bug in "his software"?
        What does he do after immediately calling technical support,
        waiting one on hold for 20+ minutes, he is then told
        "It's fixed in the next release", what does he do next?
        File bug report and waits for some new additional buggy feature(s)
        in the next release to arrive?

-- Bill