Re: More on modules...

To: Alex deVries <>
Subject: Re: More on modules...
From: "William J. Earl" <>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 17:51:40 -0800
Cc: SGI Linux <>
Alex deVries writes:
 > The modutils in the CVS appears to work; I'll get an RPM out tonight for
 > others.
 > But, I use the term 'work' with a grain of salt; the modules appear to
 > load, but I get errors like:
 > Illegal instruction at c000c0d0 ra=88034ed4
 > Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address c0008113, epc ==
 > c000c0d8, ra == 88034ed4
 > Killed

      I wonder if the kernel is properly synchronzing the I-cache with
the D-cache after loading the module.  In general, you need to
writeback the primary D-cache and invalidate the primary I-cache for
the range of addresses occupied by the driver (or simply
index-writeback-invalidate all of the D-cache and index-invalidate all
of the I-cache, if the driver is larger than the cache size).