Re: Boot flags in the kernel.

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: Boot flags in the kernel.
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 01:08:04 +0100
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 06:49:57PM -0500, Alex deVries wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> > > Where in the kernel would we put this data?
> >
> > If you _really_ need that you can copy the data into the .data segment
> > during the initialization.  See arch/mips/kernel/setup.c.
>
> But where would I copy it from?

Thinking about it, actually it's _way_ more elegant to write just a couple
of lines brewing the right argument line to pass to the kernel and to
just pass it than patching the command line in the kernel binary ...

Where in the image would the symbols go?

No symbols needed.

> Would I just put this in after kernel_entry and kernel_end are written in
> mkboot.c (around lines 620-640)?

Mkboot isn't being used on SGI boxes because sash can directly boot the
ELF image produced by the kernel.