Re: Console problems...

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: Console problems...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 18:48:24 -0500 (EST)
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sun, 25 Jan 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 1998 at 06:49:28PM -0500, Alex deVries wrote:
> > Okay. I have a self-compiled kernel (like the vmlinux 2.1.72 kernel that
> > is on linus), and it actually boots fine for me.  The problem is that it
> > doesn't display the bootup.  The console output starts at the "INIT..."
> > line.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Sounds like configured for serial console?

Yeah, that is the problem.  The reason I had to turn serial console on in
the first place was because of symbols being required in console.c. There
were a couple of other unpleasant dependancies there that I've fixed.
I'll upload those changes to the CVS soon.

I'm also working on fixing root device support.

Are there any plans to bring us up to 2.1.81?  I might think of taking
that on if nobody else is going to.

- Alex