Re: wd33c93 errors.

To: adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca (Alex deVries)
Subject: Re: wd33c93 errors.
From: fisher@hollywood.engr.sgi.com (William Fisher)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:12:18 -0800 (PST)
Cc: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk, linux@hollywood.engr.sgi.com, fisher@hollywood.engr.sgi.com (William Fisher)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

> On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> > > repartitioned it from Irix, and mounted it as an EFS partition under Irix
> > > just fine.  That would seem to indicate that everything is alright with
> > Including rewriting it ?
>
> Ah, I tried that specifically, and had problems too with Irix.  So, the
> disk is toast, and it'll go back to the storage room I found it in (along
> with an AXP).
>
> > > scsi0: Aborting connected command 17577 - stopping DMA - sending wd33c93
> > > ABORT command - flushing fifo - asr = 25, sr=ff, 16777215 bytes
> > > un-transferred (timeout=-1) - sending wd33c93 DISCONNECT command = asr=00,
> > > sr=18.
> > > And the whole thing is hung, hard.
> > Thats a bug.
>
> I've got a WO recordable CDROM also. I can change directories on it just
> fine, but when reading a lot of data on it, it'll give me:
>
> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 2282, scsi0, channel 0, id 2,
> lun 0 Write (6) 00 0a 99 02 00
> scsi0: Abort - removing command 2282 from input_Q.
>
> And then a total hang again.. no numlock, no pinging.
>
> I can't test the recordable CDROM under Irix because it doesn't have a
> WORM driver built in.

        I have been talking with Creative Digital Research, creators of
        the HyCD product used in SGI's Hot Mix CD's. Seems that support
        for recordable CD media has encountered problems BOTH under
        Irix and Solaris. In older products, the PC SCSI devices
        did NOT support disconnect. So the various third party vendors
        ifdef'ed out the disconnect code in our wd SCSI driver and rebuild
        the kernels to get around this "feature".

        I am getting the details but it seems that something is amiss
        with the "standard" PC SCSI devices in this area. There is also
        some fuzzy-ness going on in the device type they are advertizing
        themselves to be. I will have the gory details shortly since we
        would like to understand the problem. We have had a couple of
        customers complain about this problem.

-- Bill