Re: root-be-0.03.tar.gz

To: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: root-be-0.03.tar.gz
From: Alistair Lambie <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 11:18:16 +1300
Cc: Alistair Lambie <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>, SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
William J. Earl wrote:

> Alistair Lambie writes:
>  > Alex deVries wrote:
>  > >
>  > > On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Mike Shaver wrote:
>  > > > Alex deVries wrote:
>  > > > I _must_ start working on EFS again.  I assume I've missed the 2.2
>  > > > freeze, but I could still help a lot of people by getting off my a**
> and
>  > > > finishing it.  My apologies to those who are waiting on it.
>  > >
>  > > Let me know if I can help.
>  > >
>  > > Here's a question:  is it possible to boot off of the local disk without
>  > > the image being on an EFS partition? Will I ever be able to have my
>  > > machine have no EFS partition? How will ARC find the image?
>  > >
>  > Couldn't we just put the vmlinux in the volume header and load it from
>  > there....in fact you probably wouldn't even need sash.  Use dvhtool under
> irix
>  > to add the image.  You may need to make a bigger volume header to fit it.
> I'm
>  > not 100% sure if this will work, but it's worth a try.
>
>        vmlinux probably will not fit without repartitioning.  Also, except
> for early development, that is pretty tedious.  I would assume that production
> Indy linux systems would have just the volume header and linux partitions,
> with no IRIX.

Pro's and Con's:

1. You don't need any boot loader...no sash etc, just use the PROM to load
direct from the volume header.

2. You need to repartition....is that a big problem (and I'm not sure you would
need to repartition if you strip the other stuff out of the vh).

3. We need to 'clone' dvhtool for linux...only needs the ability to move the
vmlinux image to the vh.  Would this be hard?

My assumptions are that you can actually load the kernel from PROM (?) and that
it wouldn't be too hard to clone dvhtool.

Cheers, Alistair

--
Alistair Lambie                         alambie@wellington.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics New Zealand                SGI Voicemail: 2431455