Re: root-be-0.03.tar.gz

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: root-be-0.03.tar.gz
From: Alistair Lambie <alambie@wellington.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:39:59 +1300
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex deVries wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Mike Shaver wrote:
> > Alex deVries wrote:
> > I _must_ start working on EFS again.  I assume I've missed the 2.2
> > freeze, but I could still help a lot of people by getting off my a** and
> > finishing it.  My apologies to those who are waiting on it.
>
> Let me know if I can help.
>
> Here's a question:  is it possible to boot off of the local disk without
> the image being on an EFS partition? Will I ever be able to have my
> machine have no EFS partition? How will ARC find the image?

Couldn't we just put the vmlinux in the volume header and load it from
there....in fact you probably wouldn't even need sash.  Use dvhtool under irix
to add the image.  You may need to make a bigger volume header to fit it.  I'm
not 100% sure if this will work, but it's worth a try.

Cheers, Alistair

--
Alistair Lambie                         alambie@wellington.sgi.com
Silicon Graphics New Zealand                SGI Voicemail: 2431455