Re: root-be-0.03.tar.gz

To: Mike Shaver <shaver@netscape.com>
Subject: Re: root-be-0.03.tar.gz
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 01:04:19 -0500 (EST)
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Mike Shaver wrote:
> Alex deVries wrote:
> > I can already see some things that should go into 0.04..
> It would be nice if there was a really minimal root-be with just enough
> to get a network configured and then start pulling stuff down via RPM.
> That was my goal with the Linux-installer, although we could have two
> versions, too.

I really need a minimalist version of it, too, for the RH-like installer.
I'm working on it.

> I _must_ start working on EFS again.  I assume I've missed the 2.2
> freeze, but I could still help a lot of people by getting off my a** and
> finishing it.  My apologies to those who are waiting on it.

Let me know if I can help.

Here's a question:  is it possible to boot off of the local disk without
the image being on an EFS partition? Will I ever be able to have my
machine have no EFS partition? How will ARC find the image?

> > - make Linux-installer-0.1c with root-be-0.03.tar.gz (with Mike's
> >   permission)
> Sold!

Tomorrow..  I promise.

> > - document all this (damn, I wish I had another SCSI disk to practice
> >   installs)

I'm bidding right now on another SCSI disk, so I should be setup for it
soon.

- Alex