Re: lame question ...

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: lame question ...
From: Shrijeet Mukherjee <shm@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 21:21:58 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Linux porting team <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:

->On Wed, Jan 21, 1998 at 07:15:56PM -0800, Shrijeet Mukherjee wrote:
->
->> but in the indy low-level startup code, there seems to be 2 major
->> functions ..
->>
->> 1> init the MC .. I believe that is the Memory Controller ..
->> 2> init the HPC .. anyone out there know what that is  .. so that I can
->> put in the right functionality in the correspoding file for the indigo ??
->
->The main functionality is as DMA controller.  I think there is also some
->IRQ stuff in it, don't have the docs at hand.

it appears now, that the HPC is the DMA controller for the SCSI interfaces
.. but HPC-1 which is on the Indigo is missing a lot of the functions of
the HPC-3 which the IP22 boards shipped with .. and is the only
implemented HPC currently ..

the main worry I have is what is the functionality that the upper layers
need and is there a layer that I can look at that needs to have complete
functionality so that upper layers can function normally ..?? if you know
what I mean ..

Shrijeet Mukherjee,                     Member of Technical Staff (MTS)
                                        Advanced Graphics Division
                                        Silicon Graphics Computer Systems

http://reality.sgi.com/shm_engr         phone: 650-933-5312
email: shm@engr.sgi.com, shm@sgi.com, shm@cs.uoregon.edu
Life is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.