Re: My NEC VR4000's

To: David Hinkle <drachen@netexpress.net>
Subject: Re: My NEC VR4000's
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 11:56:32 +0100
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sat, Jan 17, 1998 at 09:09:46PM -0600, David Hinkle wrote:

> Well, the systems are manufactored by Control Data Systems, "indigo systems"
> .... Running Irix....

So what you have is actually a SGI machine.  I don't know if this machine
has been modified from the original Silicon Graphics box, so I cc this to
linux@engr in the hope someone can comment on this.

>                        But I've not had much experience with mips systems so I
> just don't know what to look for to tell what they are.    It has two primary
> boards.... I video board and a Cpu board.... The cpu has the one VR4000 and
> three other chips underneath it that look about the size of a Pentium 2....
> But I couldn't read the designations without taking it apart.    The video
> board has at least one of the same types of 'supporting' chips as well... The
> video board also has a socket labled 3D Headset.....    The lady that's in
> charge of the military reutilization program said it was purchased for 38,000
> three years ago.    They have two more... I think I will obtain them both...
> Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Well, I would take them, though probably not all of them because I'm
already stockpiling MIPS boxes ...

> By the way... What are my options as far as OS's go?

Choose between IRIX and IRIX.  Someone else is working on a Linux port to
the Indigo.  No results yet, he has just started some days ago.  Since
you're interested in Linux for SGI machines you should also subscribe to
SGI's mailing list linux@engr.sgi.com via majordomo@engr.sgi.com.