Re: boot problem

To: William Ellis <>
Subject: Re: boot problem
From: Eric Kimminau <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 19:11:17 -0500
Cc: Linux porting team <>
William Ellis wrote:
> I'm working with a Challenge S, R5000 (Allegedly the same
> hardware as an Indy without a graphics card)
> Initially booting via tftp with various errors, I am
> now trying to just get the sash boot -f to work.
> I have tried several of the applicable precompiled kernels
> at all with similar errors:
> Standalone Shell SGI Version 6.2 ARCS   Mar  9, 1996 (32 Bit)
> sash: boot -f /vmlinux root=/dev/sda1
> 1278928+236160 entry: 0x8800250c
> newport_probe: read back wrong value ;-(
> What is the newport_probe?  The only non-stock thing about
> the machine is it has a fddi card in it, (which I do not
> need to get going for linux).  Could this error be an effect
> of the fddi card being present, or that there is no graphics
> card present?  Or am I missing something else all together?
> Thanks in Advance, Bill

A MAJOR difference in the ChallengeS is that it has differential SCSI
controllers as well as the Indy SingleEnded controller.

Eric Kimminau                           RTA/RSA                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"