Re: boot problem

To: bellis@cerf.net (William Ellis)
Subject: Re: boot problem
From: ariel@oz.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 15:55:29 -0800 (PST)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
:
:I'm working with a Challenge S, R5000 (Allegedly the same
:hardware as an Indy without a graphics card)
:
:Initially booting via tftp with various errors, I am
:now trying to just get the sash boot -f to work.
:I have tried several of the applicable precompiled kernels
:at ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/test all with similar errors:
:
:Standalone Shell SGI Version 6.2 ARCS   Mar  9, 1996 (32 Bit)
:sash: boot -f /vmlinux root=/dev/sda1
:1278928+236160 entry: 0x8800250c
:newport_probe: read back wrong value ;-(
:
:What is the newport_probe?  The only non-stock thing about
:the machine is it has a fddi card in it, (which I do not
:need to get going for linux).  Could this error be an effect
:of the fddi card being present, or that there is no graphics
:card present?  Or am I missing something else all together?
:Thanks in Advance, Bill
:
Newport == Indy graphics

So I guess the code should be changed so it doesn't assume
there's a newport hardware.

--
Peace, Ariel