Re: The world's worst RPM

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: The world's worst RPM
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:38:18 -0500 (EST)
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 ralf@uni-koblenz.de wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 01:43:00AM -0500, Alex deVries wrote:
> > I have generated the world's worst RPM for util-linux, which is much
> > needed, since it contains fdisk.
> > I had to kludge some things; util-linux is truly an awful thing.  It
> > contains things like hwclock, which sets the clock on ISA bus only
> > machines.  This is designed only for sparc, alpha and i386 _ONLY_.
> You must be talking about clock.  As I remember hwclock is using some
> /dev/rtc and should be portable.  Anyway, all the world is using the
> same rtc from Dallas Semiconductor, so ...

On closer inspection it's just a matter of doing something like:

#ifdef ISA_BUS
(ISA specific routines that use iopl())
#endif

Yes, it is fixable.

> Suicide doesn't look like a bad alternative to cleaning the diffs.  And
> it's not your fault.  Actually I rememer that somebody already put his
> mental health on the game, there is a glibc patch for util-linux floating
> around.

Yeah.  Those are in the source RPM, and I'm using them.  There's a lot of
#ifdef __SPARC__  or similiar statements that need to be fixed for mips.

I really think this should be broken into multiple packages.

- Alex