Re: The world's worst RPM

To: Alex deVries <>
Subject: Re: The world's worst RPM
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 11:28:44 +0100
Cc: SGI Linux <>
On Wed, Jan 14, 1998 at 01:43:00AM -0500, Alex deVries wrote:

> I have generated the world's worst RPM for util-linux, which is much
> needed, since it contains fdisk.
> I had to kludge some things; util-linux is truly an awful thing.  It
> contains things like hwclock, which sets the clock on ISA bus only
> machines.  This is designed only for sparc, alpha and i386 _ONLY_.

You must be talking about clock.  As I remember hwclock is using some
/dev/rtc and should be portable.  Anyway, all the world is using the
same rtc from Dallas Semiconductor, so ...

> Anyway, I kludged it into compiling, but I really had to guess on the
> parameters for the disk operations.  Fdisk compiles and works, but I can't
> really test it as I need both disks on my system.  Could somebody give it
> a try?
> Also, it has things like more , write and mkswap. Yay! I now have swap
> space!
> So, give it a try, or clean up my diff files.

Suicide doesn't look like a bad alternative to cleaning the diffs.  And
it's not your fault.  Actually I rememer that somebody already put his
mental health on the game, there is a glibc patch for util-linux floating