Re: crtbegin.o, crtend.o

To: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Subject: Re: crtbegin.o, crtend.o
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer <tsbogend@alpha.franken.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 19:56:22 +0100
Cc: "K." <conradp@cse.unsw.edu.au>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> > um... can anyone point out where these files can be obtained? In our
> > recent install, (Indy R4600) made from the root-be-0.01 root filesystem
> > with the recent binutils-2.8.1-2, they are missing. We hacked out dummy
> > object files (crtbegin has a __main() which calls main() and crtend is
> > empty) and we can successfully compile simple programs; but before we turn
> > our attention to compiling nastier pieces of code we would like to check
> > that we have not tainted our /usr/lib :)
>
> Upgrade your system with all the rpm packages.  root-0.01 was my first
> collection of Indy executables and basically_every_ ELF file has bugs in
> it ...

but at least with the little endian gcc rpm you want get crtbegin.o and
crtend.o, because they are missing. Neither x86, alpha nor sparc have such
files (at least not in gcc), so they are missing from the redhat .spec file.
Sorry for the late bug report.

Thomas.

you have to be a sneaky bastard too ;-)