Re: BlueBelt Linux for SGI

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: BlueBelt Linux for SGI
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 17:56:43 +0100
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Sun, Jan 11, 1998 at 09:47:11PM -0500, Alex deVries wrote:

> I'm just about finished all I can bear for one weekend. I've made one pass
> over every single source RPM from RedHat 5.0 with the intention of
> finishing off a decent distribution called BlueBelt 5.0 (IceStorm).

Duh, thought 5.0 is Hurricane?

> There's 452 binary RPMs that qualify as being suitable for SGI; eg.
> SVGALib doesn't make a lot of sense on an Indy.  Of those, I tried
> compiling about 410. I have 285 binaries, 50 noarchs and about 75
> failures.

Be carefull, a couple of RPM don't make sense for MIPS boxes but they
build nevertheless.  Got burned by this ...

>            A lot of those failures are simply because of the order I built
> everything in;  eg. I built gpm-devel late in the game, so things like mc
> didn't compile.
>
> Within an hour, you'll be able to see the whole thing at
> http://www.linux.sgi.com/bluebelt/. Uploading the packages is going to
> take overnight, although there are a lot of them there already. They'll be
> in ftp://ftp.linux.sgi.com/pub/RedHat/RPMS/ .

Yesterday I've rearranged the Redhat tree a little bit, it's now
/pub/redhat/redhat-{4.9.1,5.0}.  To put a bit of cream on top of
it I also finally uploaded that glibc 2.0.6 RPMS that were getting
old on my disk.

> Please, if you would like to help me sort out the remaining packages,
> please consult the list first.  It'll give some indication if that package
> has been successfully converted already. Let me know, and I'll sign the
> package as I have the others, and I'll update the WWW page accordingly.  I
> put a lot of time into organizing all the packages on the WWW, please use
> it as a guide to what needs to be done.

Www?  ipfwadm brings prompt releave ;-)

> - Alex "praying RH 5.1 won't come out anytime really soon" deVries

  :-)