Re: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...

To: Emmanuel Mogenet <mgix@nothingreal.com>
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 11:59:07 +0100
Cc: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>, SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 05:21:31PM -0800, Emmanuel Mogenet wrote:

> >For example, 'su' takes up 4.5MB.  This seems like an awful lot to me,
> >compared to the Intel equivalent of 1MB. I know the binaries are going to
> >be larger because of the RISC thing, but really that large?
> >
> >Is this normal?
>

> Here, on the stuff we're working on, we experience that a DLL compiled
> with visual C++ in full optimization mode is on average 2.5 times smaller
> than the exact same code compiled into a DSO under IRIX 6.2 with compiler
> at -O3 -n32 -mips3.

Note that SGI's compiler seems to be more trimmed for speed and may
sometimes do massive loopunrolling etc. while the M$ compilers tend to
produce relativly compact code.

> I don't know about gcc under IRIX, but I've never seen a factor of 4 pop up
> before.

Duh...  regarding my last post - though Alex was refering to the in memory
size.  If his Linux executables are really that big might be producing
static linked ones or containing debug info.