Re: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...

To: "Alex deVries" <>, "SGI Linux" <>
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...
From: "Emmanuel Mogenet" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 17:21:31 -0800

>For example, 'su' takes up 4.5MB.  This seems like an awful lot to me,
>compared to the Intel equivalent of 1MB. I know the binaries are going to
>be larger because of the RISC thing, but really that large?
>Is this normal?

Here, on the stuff we're working on, we experience that a DLL compiled
with visual C++ in full optimization mode is on average 2.5 times smaller
than the exact same code compiled into a DSO under IRIX 6.2 with compiler
at -O3 -n32 -mips3.

I don't know about gcc under IRIX, but I've never seen a factor of 4 pop up

That seems like an awful lot.

    - Mgix