Re: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...

To: Alex deVries <>
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...
From: Eric Kimminau <>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 15:07:10 -0500
Cc: SGI Linux <>
Alex deVries wrote:
> Some odd problems I'm encountering:
> - the bare system which runs nothing consumes 20MB of RAM.  I'm using
> Ralf's 2.1.67 kernel.  Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but 'free' gives me
> 20MB used, 16MB which is unaccounted for.  Does this mean the kernel is
> using 16MB? Wow. It explains the 'memory exhausted' problems I get.
> - gcc occasionally segfaults.
> But, I have a functional system I can telnet into with virtual consoles
> and most things II need to get boot strapped.  It looks good.
> - A

Linux always reports all of your memory used. At least it always has on
my PC at home.

Eric Kimminau                           RTA/RSA                     Silicon Graphics, Inc
Voice: (248) 848-4455                   39001 West 12 Mile Rd.
Fax:   (248) 848-5600                   Farmington, MI 48331-2903

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"