Re: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...

To: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Subject: Re: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...
From: Eric Kimminau <eak@detroit.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 1998 15:07:10 -0500
Cc: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Alex deVries wrote:
> Some odd problems I'm encountering:
> - the bare system which runs nothing consumes 20MB of RAM.  I'm using
> Ralf's 2.1.67 kernel.  Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but 'free' gives me
> 20MB used, 16MB which is unaccounted for.  Does this mean the kernel is
> using 16MB? Wow. It explains the 'memory exhausted' problems I get.
> - gcc occasionally segfaults.
>
> But, I have a functional system I can telnet into with virtual consoles
> and most things II need to get boot strapped.  It looks good.
>
> - A

Linux always reports all of your memory used. At least it always has on
my PC at home.

--
Eric Kimminau                           RTA/RSA

                 VNet Extension - 6-327-4455
              "I speak my mind and no one else's."
       http://www.dcs.ex.ac.uk/~aba/rsa/perl-rsa-sig.html

    When confronted by a difficult problem, solve it by reducing
    it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"

         "I am the great supportfolio, do you have http?"