RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...

To: SGI Linux <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: RedHat 5.0 RPMs for SGI...
From: Alex deVries <adevries@engsoc.carleton.ca>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:54:03 -0500 (EST)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Now that I'm nicely settled back at work with my Indy, I've had a chance
to get my system up to scratch with Ralf's latest glibc.  Much better!
gethostbbynam and such now work properly, so I can now build RPMs.

I'm in the middle of churning out the RH 5.0 RPMs, and I'll upload them
into a seperate directory on linus than the others. The only difference
with these and many of the RPM's already on linus is that they're built
against the latest glibc, and they're from the RH 5.0 install, not 4.9.1.

Most of the work is getting a build environment going; the rpm of rpm
itself on linus won't build because it's compiled against an older libc;
then there's all the other broken libraries to create or fix...

Could someone in Europe kindly create a PGP RPM?  I have one here, but I
cannot distribute it because of ridiculous laws.

Some odd problems I'm encountering:
- the bare system which runs nothing consumes 20MB of RAM.  I'm using
Ralf's 2.1.67 kernel.  Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but 'free' gives me
20MB used, 16MB which is unaccounted for.  Does this mean the kernel is
using 16MB? Wow. It explains the 'memory exhausted' problems I get.
- gcc occasionally segfaults.

But, I have a functional system I can telnet into with virtual consoles
and most things II need to get boot strapped.  It looks good.

- A

--
      Alex deVries          Run Linux on everything,
  System Administrator      run everything on Linux.