Re: i386 crosscompile problems

To: Conrad Parker <conradp@cse.unsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: i386 crosscompile problems
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 22:36:08 +0100
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, "Andrew John O'Brien" <andrewo@cse.unsw.edu.au>
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Wed, Jan 07, 1998 at 12:10:33AM +1100, Conrad Parker wrote:

> we're attempting to cross-compile a bootstrap kernel for an r4600 indy
> with no L2 cache, from an i386-linux box. We have had most success so far
> with kernel snapshot 971208 from ftp.linux.sgi.com, patched to work with
> no L2 cache. We have built binutils-2.8.1.0.15 patched with the
> binutils-2.8.1-1 patch, and using the gcc cross compiler 2.7.2-3 binary
> release (rpm).
>
> When compiling the kernel, we get lots of mips-linux-ld warnings along the
> lines of:
>
> mips-linux-ld: Warning: type of symbol 'prom_imode' changed from 1 to 2 in
> misc.o

Post 2.8.1 binutils do harder typechecking.  Those messages should actually
be harmless warnings.  Could you mail them to me so that I can fix them,
please?

> for lots of symbols in lots of object files...
> Everything seems to compile fine, without excessive other warnings from
> gcc and the native mips code passes through without a hitch.
>
> When the resulting kernel is used from bootp, we get the following dump
> immediately:

> ouch. We expect the problem is with our configuration of binutils and/or
> gcc. Can anyone help?

 - apply the patch to the FSF version of binutils 2.8.1 (available from
   ftp.linux.sgi.com or prep.ai.mit.edu).
 - if the problem persists try removing the -N linker flag from -N