Re: SPECweb for linux?

To: Andi Kleen <ak@muc.de>
Subject: Re: SPECweb for linux?
From: ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 00:28:21 +0100
Cc: "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Fri, Dec 12, 1997 at 09:03:35PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:

> "William J. Earl" <wje@fir.engr.sgi.com> writes:
>
> >      Are there any SPECweb results for linux on one box or another?
>
> If you run it with the current sgilinux the results will probably be
> very bad. The current network code has some performance problems (and
> bugs) that will be fixed.

Btw, I recently reported 900kb/s over the wire for the Indy.  That was
measured using ftping huge files.  Most people prefer the numbers from
ttcp which where around 1038kb/s for an R5000 Indy.

>                           The network code in 2.0 (especially 2.0.30
> and up) is very fast though. That version unfortunately doesn't run
> on SGI (yet?).

I actually did complete the port of 2.0.30 as part of a commercial
project.  Not to the Indy, but that wouldn't be too difficult.  A certain
well known (Hi :-) personality from the Linux comunity is now continuing
that work.