Re: Mount ext2 filesystem.

To: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Subject: Re: Mount ext2 filesystem.
From: Takeshi Hakamada <hakamada@meteor.nsg.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 09:30:15 +0900
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> > However, when I try to invoke rpm which is made by Alan(libc/ld workaround
> > version), I get efs read error as follows:
> >
> > efs: read error in indirect extents
> > attempt to access beyond end of device
> > 08:01 rw=0, want=1207011792, limit=1965937
>
> The efs driver is still very limited and cant handle many file layouts.

Okay.

> > Anyway, why root-be-0.00.cpio.gz doesn't contain rpm binary?
> > I think rpm binary should be in root-be-0.00.cpio.gz.
>
> Personally I'd like to see a lot less in a final root-be-0.00. Really it
> needs some minimal disk handling tools and rpm. The root-be is a good
> start for an NFS root right now.
>
> I used the installer stuff I did to get rpm on the disk by doing
>
> on Linux x86
>
> rpm2cpio rpm-2.3.11.mips.rpm >rpm.cpio

Thank you. I've converted rpm to cpio and I could have installed rpm binary.
But, I can't boot from local disk yet. If I can boot from local disk, I'd
like to update faq on the www.linux.sgi.com. How do you think about it?

> ftping it to Irix and using the install cpio option. Ive been poking at
> better installing and talked to a few people about Arc firmware after Ralf
> prodded me. Given the horror stories told I think the better option is
> to finish producing a tool that takes a compressed ramdisk image (the initrd
> image) that is used by setups like the redhat installer and merges it with
> the kernel image so the existing bootup stuff can load it
>
> The X86 has memory space problems (install in 8Mb), on the indy blowing
> 4Mbytes on the install ramdisk is almost an irrelevance.

Yes, when I installed RedHat4.2 on my poor note PC(8MBytes), it bothered me.

Cheers,
--
Takeshi Hakamada
Nihon Silicon Graphics Cray