Re: Announce: New uploads

Subject: Re: Announce: New uploads
From: (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:21:49 -0800 (PST)
:Pardon my ignorance, but...
:I have a couple of questions;
:is there a how-to document that outlines how to load linux on an sgi?
We are waiting for someone to write this.

You may get all the info by reading:

(an archive of this mailing list).  The problem is that
it is way too long in this form.

:is the Indigo Elan (r4000) supported?

Unfortunately, no.

:I'm not sure how to initialize a loading of linux on the sgi.
:Here's what I've assumed:
:- bring over the src's to the sgi
:- compile a basic system (under irix)
:- copy over the original irix kernel with the new linux kernel
:- re-boot
:The begging questions:
:The FS are not compatible, therefore a new mkfs has to be done on the
:(root) partitions.
:This just doesn't "sound" right to me.
:What am I overlooking?

You should be either:

1) boot via bootp (/vmlinux on a remote filesystem) and mount
   stuff via NFS.

2) Go through a complex and not well documented way of creating
   an ext2fs filesystem on your Indy (better get an additional disk)
   copy the kernel and root to that system and reboot.

Peace, Ariel