Re: Announce: New uploads

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, ewt@redhat.com, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: Announce: New uploads
From: Joe Alonso <jalonso@kaydara.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:50:39 -0500
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Pardon my ignorance, but...
I have a couple of questions;
is there a how-to document that outlines how to load linux on an sgi?
is the Indigo Elan (r4000) supported?

I'm not sure how to initialize a loading of linux on the sgi.
Here's what I've assumed:
- bring over the src's to the sgi
- compile a basic system (under irix)
- copy over the original irix kernel with the new linux kernel
- re-boot

The begging questions:
The FS are not compatible, therefore a new mkfs has to be done on the
(root) partitions.
This just doesn't "sound" right to me.
What am I overlooking?

ja