Re: Mount ext2 filesystem.

To: Takeshi Hakamada <>
Subject: Re: Mount ext2 filesystem.
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 18:02:29 +0100
On Wed, Dec 10, 1997 at 10:35:39PM +0900, Takeshi Hakamada wrote:

> I'm working on my R5000 Indy can mount second disk as root filesystem.
> I've created ext2 filesystem from my i486-based Linux box and I connected
> it to my Indy as the second drive. Then I booted vmlinux-indy-2.1.67
> (made by Ralf) from the first disk on my Indy, mounted nfs-root filesystem
> which is made by Ralf I know.
> I can mount both the first disk(efs) and the second one(ext2).
> However, when I try to invoke rpm which is made by Alan(libc/ld workaround
> version), I get efs read error as follows:
> efs: read error in indirect extents
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> 08:01 rw=0, want=1207011792, limit=1965937
> Do you think something wrong with my IRIX efs partition? When I mount
> IRIX root partition, I can invoke some IRIX command(like ls, cp).

The efs filesystem for Linux is completly broken.  If you want to transfer
files from IRIX to Linux I recommend something like NFS or ftp to another

> Anyway, why root-be-0.00.cpio.gz doesn't contain rpm binary?
> I think rpm binary should be in root-be-0.00.cpio.gz.

The archive was the first collection of binaries ever.  It isn't really
intended to be a real distribution.  Someone else promised to work on
an installation procedure rsn.